Friday, 25 February 2011

Retro Home

I have a real love of retro homeware and adore picking up a great 70s vase or an amazing lamp or a coffee table of a time gone by. It is lucky I sell my vintage finds or I would end up an old lady swamped in by massive amount of chintz! Perhaps I will anyway.


I will spend hours going through books and interiors and antique magazines. I don't even mind daytime tv what with all the antique programmes!




Even though my retro coffee table is already buried beneath a pile of books, books and more books, I did find a delicious new book to add to the pile. It is apt that my coffee table is G-Plan because this book is all about G-Plan! I just wanted to mention it as I love it. It's a fascinating look into how the likes of G-Plan, Ercol and Stag were so successful in bringing about a change in how people furnished their homes post-war and how we went from stark oak practical 'last a lifetime' furniture into a more contemporary, fashion lead, lighter feel for our homes. Also how the advertising lead us to buy into a 'lifestyle' and how we'd all be having cocktail hours and dinner parties in our lovely new homes.

You can find the book by clicking here if you fancy a nosy.





My favourite past time is of course getting out there and finding the things for myself.. I now have a whole heap of furniture and homeware ready (including G Plan!) for the next Furniture & Flea fair in Bethnal Green, London at the end of March. This will be the second event so if you missed the first one then you must come to this one. I'm excited already!


The Vintage Furniture Flea
Sunday 27th March
York Hall,
Old Ford Road,
Bethnal Green,
London,
E2 9PJ
11.30-4.30 (11am Early bird)
http://www.vintagefurnitureflea.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment