Wednesday, 13 July 2011

1950s Horrockses dresses

Wow, I was sooo excited to find these at an auction last weekend. I had a bit of competition but I was determined they were coming home with me and here they are!

They are 2 quite fab 1950s Horrockses dresses. Horrockses - if the name seems familiar but you're not sure why - were a ready to wear label around in the 40s and 50s that were famous for the full skirted cotton day dress.  Dresses came in all sorts of colourful and bright patterns. They were fairly expensive at the time but much desired so women would save up for them.  They were even worn by the Queen.

They make the perfect summer dress.  I found this book on amazon if you want to have a look/drool over some more... I think I'll order it too!

Horrockses Fashions: Off-the-Peg Style in the 40s and 50s

Well, here's a few quickie snaps of the lovely dresses I found. They will both be coming with me to the Southbank festival where I'm sure they will find their perfect owner. They are both about a size 10 and in amazing condition.














1 comment:

  1. Hello! I commented on the fact you had these lovely dresses on twitter. What ace dresses. Its a shame they are a size 10, otherwise i would be snapping them up!!! Are both the labels the same? Or does the second dress have a more papery label? I am definitely coming to Southbank so hopefully i will see them before you sell them and might be able to give you a little bit more info on who designed them.

    See more of my lovely Horrockses on my blog: queen-tree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete